Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Welcoming 'Warriors'

Grass Lake High "Warrior Homecoming" 2

Air Force Senior Airman Tyler Adams, a 2005 Grass Lake High School alumnus, kisses the forehead of his eight-month-old daughter McKynlee, who he holds closely as he was unable to see her birth and only just reunited with his wife and other daughter on May 1. Adams spoke Tuesday afternoon to Grass Lake Middle School's seventh grade class as one of the eight soldiers the school has been sending care packages to in Afghanistan and Iraq. "Not being there for my daughter's birth is one of the toughest things I've ever had to do in my life," he said. "Not only for me, but because I couldn't be there to help my wife through any of it. It's hard to see my wife struggle. It was the best feeling I've ever had when I saw her for the first time."

Grass Lake High "Warrior Homecoming" 1

Cpl. Tom Niehaus, a marine of Grass Lake, laughs with seventh grade teacher Julie Alexander as she hands him the microphone to talk to the Grass Lake Middle School's seventh grade class Tuesday afternoon in the school's cafeteria. The class has been sending care packages and receiving letters from Neihaus while on active duty. "I always knew I wanted to be a marine," he said. "I've always known I wanted to serve my country and that's why I am doing what I am doing today."

This was my second assignment at the Jackson Citizen Patriot. Check out the story here.

No comments: