Friday, September 2, 2011

SPORTS FEATURE: With all their might

Main_110902_BaseballFeature03_JM

Aidan Jochem of Huntingburg, 7, threw the ball as he and his Mets teammates on a 6-to-7-year-old southern Indiana Spikes fall baseball team practiced catching grounders and pop-flies and throwing to first base Thursday evening at the baseball field at the corner of First and South Van Buren Streets in Huntingburg. The team practices once a week, and will have their first game Sept. 11.

baseball_quadtych

The sun brought a gorgeous light last night, and so I sought to find a feature. I didn't want to waste such beautiful light. I decided Huntingburg would be my destination. I made a game of it, a race against the light. So, as I drove into Huntingburg, the first street I turned down, I found 11 boys playing baseball, well, doing drills as practice for a fall youth baseball league. Thanking the feature Gods, but since I just finished shooting girls golf, I had the 300mm lens, and I knew this was the feature I was after. I've always thought "game faces" was a neat idea, the expressions at peak action. Then, add-on the fact that they are 6- and 7-year-olds, and it was like striking feature gold. Definitely a good reason to feature hunt when the light is nice, and I won't hesitate to do it again very soon.

No comments: