Monday, February 28, 2011

MPPA 2010: Thanks for the memories

Baseball Fight

An umpire attempts to separate Homer's Mitch Pease, left, whose arms are wrapped around the head of Concord's Mike Kaplinski at the beginning of a fight at third base. Both benches nearly cleared out to join their teammates, resulting in both teams forfeiting the Division 4 district championship game.

An amazing weekend with some of the best friends anyone could ask for — yes, it's that time of year. It was the annual Michigan Press Photographers Association spring conference. Three judges gathered from around the U.S. to pick the top Michigan photos, photogs and portfolios. I am happy to say I will be working closely with one of those judges in July.

So, before I get to me, let's talk about CMU. We swept College Photographer of the Year for the second year in a row. Fire up Chips! And we had a great showing in the singles and portfolio categories as a whole. Click here to see all the entries.

As for me, I am very pleased, and can say putting in the effort non-stop this summer and year-round really paid off. The following are my results from the weekends judging:

1st Place Sports Portfolio
2nd Place College Photographer of the Year
3rd Place Sports Picture Story
3rd Place Sports Action (See photo above)

(Click the links above to see photos.)

I am incredibly blessed. My friends push me to become a better photographer every day. And don't worry, I push back. Neil Blake, Libby March (First Place CPOY), Sean Proctor (Honorable Mention CPOY) and Sara Winkler — I wouldn't be who I am today if it wasn't for your constant feedback and friendship. You are my influence, and I love you all. Kent Miller and Ryan Wood are two amazing professors at CMU, and both have helped me to get to where I am today in a major way. The Jackson crew is the reason any of this happened for me: J. Scott Park, Nick Dentamaro and Katie Rausch, you all make my life. Literally, you guided me this summer. It was the best summer I could have ever asked to shoot. Great assignments. Great people. And NASCAR. Hah. Last (BUT CERTAINLY NOT LEAST), the Midland boys. Nathan Morgan, Nick King and Thomas Simonetti. Dudes, you rock! Thanks for the portfolio editing help. Thanks for the constant support. You seriously are inspirational.

2011 is shaping up to be one helluva year, and we're only two months in. Earlier this month, I was named the second place recipient in the Hearst Photojournalism Competition for News/Sports. The above photo was also one of four in my entry. I am pleased to announce this allows me the opportunity to submit a portfolio to have the chance to compete at the 51st national competition in San Francisco, Calif.

MPPA banquet group shot

Thanks to everyone. This photo is the CMU crowd (Photo by J. Kyle Keener). Great company. Great people. Hire them, and you won't regret it. Sorry for the long post. I just love photojournalism and all of my photojournalism friends. :)

No comments: