Friday, April 1, 2011

PORTRAIT: Nearing Opening Day

110401_PaulBarbeau_Color

Great Lakes Loons President and General Manager Paul Barbeau plays a game of catch with himself on the home team bench in preparation of his fifth year leading the organization. Under Barbeau's leadership, the Loons franchise has been built from the ground up, and the construction of Dow Diamond was completed within its projected time of 12 months. With opening day Thursday at Dow Diamond, Barbeau said he remembers his first opening day as a six-year-old. "It was at Fenway Park, and it was just tremendous. I was so excited, and I remember the anticipation that had built up was just unbearable," he said. "Since then, my mom always wrote me a note to get out of school to see the opening day game with my dad or my grandpa. I've followed the game since I was a kid, now I get to work the game of baseball. I get to do what I love. I feel so grateful for that."

No comments: