Friday, April 22, 2011

SPORTS: Anthony Robles, 125-pound NCAA wrestling national champion

ASU_05

An Arizona State coach talks with 125-pounder Anthony Robles in a backstage hallway after winning his second match Thursday at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Penn. The 15-0 victory against Harvard's Steven Keith secured Robles to continue to wrestle in the quarterfinals Friday.

ASU_Robles_06

Arizona State 125-pounder Anthony Robles faces off with Utah Valley's Ben Kjar on Friday night at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Penn. Jenkins won a 4-2 decision, advancing to the championship Saturday night.

Anthony Robles, national 125-pound NCAA wrestling champion

Arizone State 125-pounder Anthony Robles points to the sky seconds after he is named the No. 1 wrestler in his weight class Saturday night after winning his match against Iowa's Matt McDonough during the NCAA Wrestling Championships in Philadelphia. Robles secured the national title with a 7-1 victory. "It was huge. I had a lot of butterflies going out there. I've dreamt about stepping on that stage a dozen times, and this whole year I've just been preparing for that moment. ... Wrestling it's been a huge thing in my life. Wrestling's been my life for nine years now. I don't know what I'm going to do without competition now. But it's been a blessing in my life. It's taught me so much. It's really helped me to become a man. And I'll be forever grateful for that."

No comments: