Saturday, June 4, 2011

FEATURE: Midland and Dow Graduation

110603_graduation_midland_05

Midland High School senior Mark Torkelson, 18, sits back against yellow padding on the gymnasium walls, his shoes kicked off, waiting to line up for the commencement ceremony Friday night at Midland High School. "I'm moving on with a new chapter in my life — a chance to start over in a new environment with new people and new experiences," Torkelson said. "People say graduation is bittersweet, but I don't feel any of that right now. I just want to get out of here and be done with school."

110603_graduation_dow_03

Dow High School seniors sit in the gymnasium Friday night waiting to receive their diplomas at H.H. Dow High School's commencement ceremony.

110603_graduation_midland_01

Midland High School senior L.J. Jones, 18, at center, practices moving his tassel while waiting in line for the band to begin "Pomp and Circumstance" as the seniors prepare for the graduation ceremony Friday night at Midland High School. "I'm ready for that next chapter in life. College, here I come," he said smiling.

110603_graduation_midland_02

Midland High School senior Carson Grzegorczyk's tassels dip into the edge of the water Friday night as the 18-year-old takes a sip from the water fountain before standing in line in preparation for Midland High School's commencement ceremony.

110603_graduation_dow_05

Dow graduate Paige Stavely laughs with a friend as everyone in the graduating senior class turns around to listen to the choir sing Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" on Friday night at H.H. Dow High School's commencement ceremony.

110603_graduation_midland_06

From left: Midland High School senior Kiana Helm, 18, hugs Ashley Kihn, 18, white sitting with Natasha Seaman, 17; Ashley Demo, 18; Josezette Jewell, 18; and Erica Quinn 18 as they sit on a set of bleachers in a gymnasium waiting to line up for the commencement ceremony Friday night at Midland High School. "I'm finally going to be an adult," Quinn said. "I can do stuff on my own without my parents. I am going to go to college and become a nurse like I've always wanted."

No comments: